A fascinating bit of IP history from Scott Bradner on a history mailing list:
the sequence was that once we (the IPng directorate, Allison & I) had decided on what we were going to recommend as IPng I went to Jon [Postel] and asked for an IP version number - he said that the next available number was 10 (5 was ST2 and the others had been assigned to the experimental IPng protocols SIPP,TUBA and Catnip)
I went back to the group and said that Jon had given us 10 someone pointed out that this could be a real problem since Van had used the high order bit of the versionnumber to indicate header compression
I went back to Jon - he suggested asking the SIPP folk to release 6 since the experimental SIPP IPng protocol was not going to go anywhere - I asked Steve & Bob if that would be OK and they agreed so IPng became IPv6
ps - Jon was none to happy to hear that Van had commandeered the hi order version bit without
discussing the idea with Jon
So THAT is how we got “IPv6”
This entry was originally posted at https://dmarck.dreamwidth.org/424902.html. Please comment there using OpenID.